Friday 21 April 2017

How Did I Know?

A cold, dark night of January
I sit by your dreaming and
you awake, you sit up and you weep.
I hold you, stunned,
What has he seen?

"I'm not ready"
Your only words.
For what?
I knew it then, but
it couldn't be. It must be something else.

How did I know?

A dark night of August
you told me
the words so small,
narrow, inconspicuous
but within them a vast, destroying reality.
You held me
in your pain,
John Everett Millais
in my stunned speechlessness,
feeling its impact inside me
everything shattering,
imploding
silently,
desperately

How did I know?

Hand in hand we approach
the imposing building
to plead for mercy, for time.

Around us
the velvety spring green
gives the air a golden hue
a fresh healing love surround us
but do I dare allow its comfort
to reach the immovable winter within?

What was the verdict?
What was the answer?

2 comments:

  1. A big hug to you! And it can be so hard to trust enough to let the warmth in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to trust that even when you are not strong and are making mistakes that the warmth is there and ready to embrace a sincere repentant heart. Maybe it can help to get out of the hard place, to accept it.

      Thanks so much for your comments :)

      Delete