Friday 24 July 2015

Love is a promise
to stay awake with you for ten thousand nights
or until your nightmares no longer frighten you;

To wait for you for a hundred years
or until the love of others
no longer lifts you up;

To plant trees for you
that the birds may come
and lighten your heart with their songs;

Love is to walk through thunderstorms
and cross dark oceans
only to be there to hold your hand
and sit in silence with you
under the starry sky

To tend your fire
through the deep infinite winter
even when frost covers my trembling soul,
Friedrich Wilhelm von Schadow,
detail of The Parable of the
Wise and Foolish Virgins
to catch a glimpse of you,
or even to hear your name
is like the morning breeze in the spring;

Love is to have my heart close to bursting
because the one I love is so deeply and powerfully,
magically, mystically, inexplicably
beautiful
radiant

This is the kind of love
I want to give to you
I may not have much
but the very little imperfect love I have
I want to lay at your feet
I want to devote myself to you
and to dedicate my every effort to you
because my life has worth
when I can sacrifice it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment