Thursday 10 November 2016

My brave husband,
standing at the brink of death,
your eyes mirrors to where I cannot come,
raw destiny
where all lights must be extinguished

How you must now cherish
the light of day,
the firelight, the sun's rays,
the light of knowing, of being.
It could only be the strongest,
most humble heart
that can bear such knowledge.
Who is this that God gave me?
What is this heart that does not break
under the burden of such responsibility, such grief?
The threat of all your life
coming to nothing, a waste?

Rogello Egusquiza y Barrena,
Tristan and Isolde
Yet it is not a waste.
I have been known by you.
I have been loved by you.
I, the unlovable one.
You gave me a hope and a purpose
an indescribable love
Even if it shall all be taken away:
no new mornings
no joy or peace
no heavenly flowers
no light that holds any meaning for me
I stand here,
with you,
at the brink of death,
trying hard to hear
the silver bells of hope
yet looking into the disappearance of my own life.
My soul is intertwined with yours;
there are no other paths
and I regret not one step.

No comments:

Post a Comment