Friday 30 December 2016

A mountain of sorrow is
ahead of you
we have only tasted a sprinkling of it
but it is better to suffer together
than alone -
Love is willing
to go through pain, if needed

How could I make you see
that I too have the same selfishness, weakness,
N C Wyeth
ignorance, negligence,
that yours doesn't make you any worse?
Please do not be weighed down
by the thought of your darkness.
I can't pretend to love it,
but you have a spark of light
within you;
that is what I love.

Call me foolish, thoughtless, mindless,
rushing into trouble
but I am not afraid
to go deep into you, deep into this love
even when the next step
might be separation,
emptiness,
then a crushing plunge into a lifetime of grief
made all the worse
that I now contain you, and you, me.

May this mountain of agony
be transformed into a terrifyingly beautiful
work of art
Yes it is my life
but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

3 comments: