Monday 27 February 2017

The east wind brought snow
at nightfall.
I awake in the hour
before dawn and the stars
are as serene and radiant
as the trees bowing their heads
Sulamith Wulfing
and the yet untainted cover of snow
over the earth.

At first light
your tears, unshrinking, wash my face.
Suddenly, I remember
and turn my head
and the love is like green buds
on spring branches
that grew when I had forgotten
to look.

The love where there is only trust
I let my eyes rest in yours and you
gently hold my gaze
I come to you
and your understanding covers me like wings,
this love that is like a strength,
protecting us,
holding us together.

When I remember
your heart
mine is filled with peace.


3 comments:

  1. I feel there is spring in your words, even as you speak about snow. It's so lovely to wake up when the stars are still out, and everything and everyone is asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the hours before dawn feel peaceful and yet energising. I couldn't quite convey the beautiful sight of clear sky with lots of stars and the trees and earth covered in thick snow after a storm, but it was breathtaking.

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm sure. It's something I don't quite get here where I am now. You live in such a lovely place.

      Delete